I have searching for a long time for the right webframewor to develop a rather small Webapplication.
The requirement was:
- Usermanagmemtn, ACL
- Manage Files to download by Userpermission
- run behind nginx
I have developed in all of this languages in the past, some of them in mor deep then in the other.
I have take a look about different frameworks in this languages
The main decision to go to the php based symfony framework was:
- It is easy to learn and relativly good documented
- I know php more or less good, not better then perl but the setup was easier to create.
- There are more php known persons in the current company.
My reasons why I have not choose one of the differnt languages to work:
- Java: due the fact that you need to compile it, so you need a IDE (ala. Eclipse). It takes more time to see if you change works.
- ruby & python: I haven’t not enough experience with it. This language looks very nice and easy to learn but it wasn’t necessary that I learn it, yet 😉
- perl: I have develop a lot of perl modules and code in the past but for now I like php more.
So as you can see it is not very academic more pragamtic ;-).